The re-powered Land Cruiser 70 Series is the new torque king of 4WD vehicles thanks to the adoption of Toyota’s legendary 4.5-litre 32-valve V8 turbo-diesel engine with common-rail direct injection and intercooler.
Three Land Cruiser 70 Series models – the 76 Station Wagon, the 79 Single Cab and the 79 Double Cab – are the latest recipients of this Euro IV-compliant V8 engine delivering 151kW of power at 3400rpm. Peak torque of 430Nm is reached at just 1200rpm and held all the way to 3200rpm - the flattest torque curve of all Toyota's engines. It boasts 55kW more power and 145Nm more torque than the naturally aspirated, indirect-injection, 4.2-litre, straight-six diesel engine that still sees service in selected Land Cruiser workhorses.
It is matched to a five-speed manual transmission with two-speed transfer case and a part-time 4WD system with manual free-wheeling front hubs.
It’s worth noting that the V8 engine's improved performance does not come at the expense of fuel economy: consumption is pegged at 11.55 litres/100km* for all versions (*Combined cycle).
Glenn Crompton, Vice President of Marketing, says: "Anyone buying a 70-Series Land Cruiser does so with a specific need in mind, and that is to go off road. Indestructible build quality, defiant retro styling and now V8 turbo-diesel powered, make this new range of Cruisers even more compelling. It’s no wonder we already have more than 1 300 customer orders for this new version.”
Land Cruiser 70 V8 in detail
• The new 4.5-litre V8 turbo-diesel engine is the first Toyota engine with a graphite-iron cylinder block. The use of graphite iron provides for low weight and a compact size while resisting the high cylinder pressures of a turbocharged diesel design.
• The turbocharged and intercooled Quad Cam 32-valve Toyota 1VD-FTV engine uses high-pressure (common rail) D-4D direct injection.
• The water-cooled turbocharger utilises a variable nozzle vane to ensure high engine output, low fuel consumption and low emissions.
• The 1VD-FTV engine has an air-to-air intercooler and dual electronic throttle valves.• The 4461cc engine has a 90-degree V angle, undersquare bore and stroke dimensions of 86.0mm by 96.0mm to maximise torque and a compression ratio of 16.8:1. The bank offset is 22mm and the bore pitch is 97mm, to create a compact block relative to the engine's displacement.
• The forged steel crankshaft has seven balance weights. All pins and induction fillets are hardened to ensure optimum strength. The base of the cylinder block has substantial stiffening plates, to minimise vibration, and four tightening bolts for each bearing cap. The connecting rods are made of high-strength steel and the big-end bearings are secured with nut-less tightening bolts.
• The 1VD-FTV engine has aluminium-alloy pistons with combustion chambers in the piston crown. Oil jets at the bottom of the cylinder bores spray oil on the underside of the pistons to improve piston cooling and lubrication. The cylinder heads are made of aluminium alloy, with two-stage water-jacket construction to improve cooling.
• An exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) passage reduces emissions. The combustion chamber design includes four valves with a central solenoid-type high-pressure injector nozzle to improve performance and minimise emissions. The injection system includes pilot injection control to improve performance and fuel economy and reduce emissions. A glow plug located between the inlet valves improves engine starting.
• Four camshafts are used in the new Land Cruiser V8 diesel engine, to ensure accurate valve timing. The new engine has maintenance-free valve clearance adjusters to maintain constant zero valve clearance between the rocker arm and valve stem.
• The 1VD-FTV engine's turbocharger is water-cooled, for increased reliability. The inlet air passes through an air-cooled intercooler and separate throttle valves for each cylinder bank, before reaching the inlet ports. A crossover pipe balances the exhaust pressure between the two cylinder banks, to ensure efficient turbocharger operation.
• Other features of the 1VD-FTV engine include a linear temperature-controlled coupling for the cooling fan, a fuel cooler, a fuel filter with a warning switch, a segment-conductor-type alternator and an oxidation catalytic converter.
The V8 turbo-diesel range mirrors that of the other petrol and diesel models in the 70 Series. All turbo-diesel models get power steering, tilt and telescopic steering adjustment, air conditioning, electric windows, electric mirrors, a 12V accessory connector as well as remote central locking to mention just a few of the standard spec items.
In keeping with its role as a people carrier (for up to five people), the 76 Station Wagon is the most sumptuously equipped boasting such interior extras as carpeted flooring, on-board SatNav, stereo system incorporating a CD player and an auxiliary USB port. Aesthetically the most refined of the 70 V8 trio, the 76 is adorned with combination colour-coded and chromed accoutrements (bumpers, grille, over fenders), aluminium side steps and fetching 16-inch alloys. In 2013 guise, a 130-litre fuel tank and a spare wheel cover is added to the standard package.
Next up, numerically speaking are the 79s – first up in Single Cab guise. Colour-coded and chromed exterior trim, front fog lamps and colour-matched overfenders distinguish this model. The 79 Single Cab boasts a combined fuel capacity of 180 litres.
The latest addition to the Land Cruiser range – the 79 Double Cab – is cosmetically differentiated from its Single Cab stable mate by the addition of two rear doors. This model does not come with overfenders and alloys are optional. Move indoors, however, and it gains extra kit in the form of on-board SatNav, a stereo system and USB port. The Double Cab is equipped with a 130-litre fuel tank.
Land Cruiser 76 Station Wagon 4.5 V8 D - R587 500
Land Cruiser 79 Single Cab 4.5 V8 D - R527 000
Land Cruiser 79 Double Cab 4.5 V8 D - R567 600
All new Land Cruiser 70 Series models come with Toyota's comprehensive three-year/100 000 km warranty. These models are also supported by the ToyotaCare Roadside Assistance Programme and entitles customers to 24-hour roadside assistance, ensuring ultimate peace-of-mind motoring.