ETIOS CROSSES Over To The Wild SideTuesday, 15th July 2014
Combining the rugged good looks of an SUV with the fluent drive, fuel efficiency and maneuverability of a hatch, the all-new Toyota Etios Cross is ready to write another chapter in this budget beater’s success story.
Speaking on the occasion of the launch, Glenn Crompton, Vice President of Marketing, says: “The Etios delivers exactly what customers want – car-like efficiency and typical crossover styling traits at an affordable price point. It marks our entry into yet another category in the diverse and fast growing sub-B segment of the car market. The expressive Etios family now comprises a sedan, a hatch, and the youthfully rugged Cross in its budget-oriented arsenal. Naturally it also comes with the globally renowned promise of Toyota’s QDR (Quality, Durability & Reliability) standards.”
Let’s cross-examine the newcomer…
Thanks to a raft of body and cabin modifications and embellishments, the new Etios Cross allows buyers to tap into the tough image of an SUV without incurring the cost. With the focus firmly on practicality and efficiency, the Cross is just as user-friendly as its standard brethren but with the added robust appeal of a crossover.
The new Etios Cross is based on the Xs hatch, which is generously endowed when it comes to specifications. Here’s a brief rundown of the key standard features of the Etios range:
- Electric power steering
- Air conditioning with clean air filter
- Power windows (Xs – rear windows as well)
- Rear window demister with wiper (Xs)
- Double Din audio system with USB and AUX-in ports (Xs)
- Fog lights (Xs)
- Remote central locking (Xs)
- ABS, EBD, dual front airbags and immobiliser
Key exterior features (over and above the Xs grade)
- The masculine face of Etios Cross comes courtesy of a distended new grille design in matt black incorporating an unusual powder grey grille guard that extends all the way into the bumpers, mimicking the appearance of bumper overriders.
- The chunky anthracite front bumper is further enhanced by oversized fog lamps with integrated turn indicators and accented in a grey frame. The Etios Cross also gets a ribbed front scuff plate – once again in powder grey.
- Completing the front end is a revised headlight cluster with a fuller design which melds better with the new grille.
- In profile, the Etios Cross gets the full “off road” treatment in the form of black cladding (with embossed Etios Cross logos) which extends halfway up the doors. Silver shaded accent garnishes adorn the lip of the cladding.
- Prominently protruding matt black over fenders clad the wheelarches, providing visual continuity and further amping up the newcomer’s ‘SUV’ persona.
- Re-designed side mirrors feature turn indicators.
- Bringing up the rear, the back door gets a stylish garnish strip with embossed Etios Cross logo. Mirroring the frontal treatment, the rear likewise gets a new matt black bumper with a trapezoidal silver grey, ribbed scuff plate. The tail lights are also unique to the Cross and feature prominent ‘puzzle piece’ reverse light lenses.
- Final touches to further beef up the Etios Cross include a roof spoiler, multi-spoke diamond-cut 15” alloys and a set of roof rails also finished in the de rigeur powdery silver. The latter are fully functional and able to support 50 kg of luggage or even a bicycle.
- Two new colours are exclusive to the Etios Cross - Inferno Metallic (a vivid orange) and Jet Grey Metallic.
Key interior features (over and above the Xs grade)
- Inside, the Cross edition gets all-black interiors with new sporty seat fabrics featuring special white stitching and embroidered Etios Cross logos.
- A tech-enhanced, upgraded double din audio system – as with the unit found on Xs models, this system comes with USB and AUX-in ports but adds extra functionality in the form of Bluetooth to facilitate hands-free mobile phone operation.
- To further uplift the cabin appeal the dashboard receives piano black metallic finishing and chrome detailing around the air vents.
Pricing includes a 2-year / 30 000km service plan)
Should you want to see pricing and specifications or download a brochure, please CLICK HERE